Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Snap Your Readers Out Of Passivity With These Calls To Action

Your Visitors Don’t Come To Your Blog Expecting To Take An Action


If you expect them to share, comment, take a poll or hit one of the social media buttons, dream on. And as to subscribing to your news letter or buying your products, well it won’t happen unless you have a darned good call to action.


Yes that’s right you have to ask them to take action in a convincing manner.


In this article you will discover 12 tips to break your readers out of their passivity:


Blog Tips - Persuasive Calls To Action



The Problem of Passivity on Blogs


I still remember early in my blogging expressing my frustration to another blogger. At the time my main concern was that while I was getting a lot of visitors, so few of them left a comment.


He responded to me with a question that was like a SMACK to the side of the head with a BRICK – it was so simple yet stupidly I’d never thought of it. He said:


“Do you ever ask for comments?”


He went on to explain to me a ‘secret’ that copywriters have known for ages – ‘Call to Action‘ – if you don’t call your readers to action they are far less likely to take it:


  • If you want people to comment, invite them to do it.

  • If you want people to subscribe, don’t assume that they’ll think to do it themselves, ask them to. If

  • If you want people to buy something – give them a way to do it.

  • If you want people to come back tomorrow, give them some motivation to do so and show them how to remind themselves.

  • If you want a vote on Digg or StumbleUpon – ask.

Call me ‘Captain Obvious’ – but so few of us bloggers have mastered the ‘Call to Action’ in their blogging that it is no wonder that so many of us struggle with passive audiences.


Why Calls to Action are Important


After my friend gave me the above advice I began to experiment with inviting readers to comment on my posts. Here’s what I found:


  • Some People Respond to Invitations - When I invited comments and didn’t assume that people would leave them I noticed a marked increase in comments. While the majority of my readers still ‘lurked’ I’d estimate comments were up by between 50-100% on posts.

  • Action grows Reader Engagement - I began to notice that when people commented once it would open a floodgate of comments from them over future days. When I questioned a few of these readers I found that some had been ‘lurking’ a while, too scared to comment but once they had they felt more ‘ownership’ and ‘confidence’ to do it again.

  • Action brings loyalty – I noticed that first time readers would become loyal readers – they’d often come back to the blog in the days after their comment to see how other people responded to it.

  • Action breeds Action - When you grow the interactivity on your blog it draws others to be interactive. When a first time visitor to your blog sees that you have thousands of subscribers and hundreds of comments they take notice and many will be drawn to do likewise (it is called social proof).

In time I saw similar things as I ‘asked’ readers to do other things (vote in polls, subscribing to feeds etc). I learned that as obvious as it might seem to us as bloggers to do these things – many readers don’t think to do these things unless asked to.


12 Tips for Calls to Action:


So how do you effectively use Calls to Action on your blog?


Let me say that the following Call to Action Tips come out of my own experience of experimenting with this type of thing. I’m by no means a copy writing expert (although am about to start some training in it) and would love to learn from your own experiences of Calls to Action so please do feel free to share you own experience in comments below.


1. Know what Action you want Readers to take


Sounds almost too basic to include in these tips but I think it’s really important to be clear about what you’re trying to achieve with your blog post. This really builds on the last post in this series which talked about making your posts matter and identifying purposes for posts. What’s the purpose of your post? What do you want readers to do as a result of reading the post? Answer these questions before writing your call to action and you’ll be in a great position to write an effective one.


2. One Call to Action Per Post


Early in my own experiments with Calls to Action I wrote a post that was linked to by the uber blog Slashdot. It sent more traffic to my blog than I’d ever seen before and so I decided to update the post with some calls to action. Problem was that I stuffed so many of them into the post that no one did any of them. I asked for comments, pointed to my RSS feed and newsletter, asked for people to link to the post… etc. I find that I have a lot more luck with just one call to action per post – it gives people a simple next step rather than overwhelming them with choices.


3. Make it a Win/Win Call to Action


There’s nothing wrong with benefiting from the actions that your readers take on your blog. Don’t be afraid to ask things of them – but do make sure that what you ask of them will have an upside not only for you but for them.


4. Make the Action Simple and Achievable


I was recently asked by a reader to look at a competition that they were running on their blog and to give my opinion on why no one had entered it. Upon looking at the competition it became clear that while the prize was great and the blog did have readers – that the requirements to entry were too complicated. The blogger was asking readers to leave a 500 word comment, write a post on their own blog linking to their competition AND subscribe to his RSS feed (and to prove it take a screen shot of the subscription confirmation page). Ask your readers to jump through too many hoops to do the thing you want them to do and you’ll get significantly less of them to take that action.


5. In Post Calls to Action Work Best


Positioning is everything in many aspects of your blog and calls to action are no exception. In the same way that click through on ads increase when you put ads near or in content – responses to calls to action will work significantly better for you within posts than if you slap them on your sidebar. This doesn’t mean you can’t have an invitation to action in your sidebar (almost every blog I know does this with RSS subscription invitations for example) however in post invitations will generally work best.


6. Express Clearly what you Want People to do


This really builds upon the ‘simple and achievable action’ point   Discover more on the source article.


 


What’s Your Favorite Call To Action?


Let us know in the comments below.


 


 



Snap Your Readers Out Of Passivity With These Calls To Action

No comments:

Post a Comment